We are thrilled to have you back in the gym and seeing your smiling faces again. For many of you it’s been months since training properly and while it’s great to get moving again, your also likely to experience a few niggles here and there. It’s super important to get on top of these before they turn into injuries and put you back out of action.
Before you jump straight back into your normal training routine, here are a few pointers from our team of friendly Osteopaths:
- Moderate your load – start off by lifting 60% of your usual weight, removing a few reps or performing one less set as you slowly work back up to your normal volume. Although it can be tempting to pick up right where you left off, aim to increase your load by no more than 10% each week. Slow and steady wins the race.
- Make sure you’re getting enough food and sleep! By putting nutritious food into your body you enable your cells to grow stronger. The body repairs itself while you’re asleep; without 7-8 hours you will find your recovery time is often longer and your performance less than optimal.
- An active recovery is key. Did you know that your muscles don’t get bigger DURING your workout session but AFTER. What you do outside of the gym will dictate the gains you see when you’re on the inside.
What to do if you notice that things start to tighten up?
- Pre workout mobility work
- Post working static stretching
- Heat (think heat pack, hot bath or shower)
- Fisiocrem for sore muscles
And if you do go a little crazy and end up with a bad case of DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness), we’re here to help 😉
As always, to make sure you’re moving at your best book an appointment with the resident Osteopaths at DG Health (located at Level 1, Dukes Gym Richmond). With years of experience treating everyday athletes and gym goers just like you, they’ll be able to make sure you’re moving at your best.
You can book via their easy to use website by clicking the link below or giving the clinic a call on (03) 9052 4948.
The Team @ DG Health
P| 9052 4948
A| Level 1, 99 Murphy St RICHMOND VIC 3121